Quick and Easy. That’s the response I get when I ask people what kind of new recipes they would like to see on Finding Happy in Healthy. Quick and easy I can do, but I can also do tasty and healthy. This ‘Chicken’ Bruschetta Bake is the perfect example of that.
Not only is it SUPER easy to make, but it also tastes pretty darn delicious if you ask me. You can make it with chicken or without, gluten-free or not, any way you make it, you’re gonna love it.
Go One Step Beyond Quick and Easy
Back in the day, I used to make this recipe for my family and we loved it. It was simple to make and packed a lot of flavor in one dish.
Made with just a few ingredients like chicken, diced tomatoes, and stuffing mix, this dish definitely fits the Quick and Easy request.
But these days, I like to challenge myself by making old recipes new.
So I decided to change this recipe up a bit. I wanted to see if I could make it gluten-free and plant-based, without losing its flavor. You know, taking it one step beyond quick and simple.
And it worked!
It Does Take Like Chicken
Finding a gluten-free, healthier version of store-bought stuffing mix is pretty simple. There are some store-bought versions out there, but making it homemade, as I did for this recipe, is a lot easier.
For this recipe, the tricky part of taking it one step father was how to replace the chicken.
The Perfect Substitute
Usually, my go-to is jack-fruit, but this time I wanted to try something different. Something new.
So, I went with Palm Hearts. I had found a bulk pack of them at BJ’s wholesale one day and figured they would come in handy in one form or another.
Handy indeed. Shredded up, the palm hearts made a PERFECT replacement for chicken breast.
They don’t have a strong flavor of any kind and they cooked up perfectly with all the seasonings and took on all the flavors of the dish just as the chicken would.
Yes, you can still make this dish with chicken breast, but just for fun, try making it with the palm hearts. It really does taste like chicken.Print
One Dish ‘Chicken’ Bruschetta Bake
Simple, quick, and off the hook delicious. This ‘Chicken’ Bruschetta Bake is delicious plant-based style and poultry style.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 to 30 minutes
- Total Time: 35 to 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1 25-ounce jar of Palm Hearts, rinsed, drained, chopped or 1 ½ lbs chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 11 to 12 ounces of stuffing mix (gluten-free or regular)
- 1 26.4-ounce container of diced tomatoes, with juices
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ¾ cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese (vegan or regular)
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Lightly coat a 13×9 baking dish with oil, set aside.
- For Palm Hearts – place rinsed palm hearts into a large food processor and pulse a few times until shredded into bite-sized pieces or using a knife cut into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes (with juices), stuffing mix, and garlic. Stir just until mixture is moist. Set aside.
- Place the palm hearts or chicken in the baking dish. Spread evenly in dish. Top with salt, pepper, basil, and cheese.
- Top palm heart mixture with stuffing mix.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes. Watching stuffing mix for burning.
Keywords: gluten-free, plant-based, one dish, bruschetta, palm hearts, allergy friendly
Pin it and Share it