A few months back, the hubster and I had the chance to taste some of the delicious samplings at the Animal Kingdoms Boma restaurant.
One of the soups they had really surprised me. I’m not a big fan of the ginger spice, so I was a little apprehensive to try their Carrot Ginger Soup, but LOVED the taste and the creaminess.
While menu planning for the week, I decided that I wanted to try and find the recipe for the Carrot Ginger soup.
Well I found the recipe but I hit a little snag.. it had heavy cream in it.. UGH.. not good for this lactose intolerant gal..
After searching around a little more, I quickly found another option to make sure the soup would still be creamy..
The answer was potatoes.
I wasn’t 100% convinced this was going to work out, but after putting together my own recipe, I headed to the kitchen.
And the outcome???….
Was nothing shorty of extreme Yummyness..
Carrot Ginger Soup ~ Dairy Free Deliciousness
- 1/2 cup Red Wine vinegar or Balsamic
- 1 TBSP Gluten-Free Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 TBSP Tamari Sauce
- 2 Tsp liquid smoke
- 1 Tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tsp basil
- 1/2 Tsp onion powder
- 1/2 Tsp Pink Himalayan Salt
- 1/2 Tsp pepper
- 3 Portobello Mushroom caps sliced
- 1 medium red onion sliced
- 2 TBSP Olive Oil or water
- Vegan Mozzarella Cheese Slices (I use Follow Your Heart)
- Gluten Free Rolls
- In a square glass dish, combine all the marinade ingredients. Whisking to combine.
- Place the mushroom slices in the marinade. Using your hands, mix the mushrooms around until they are well coated. Cover with plastic wrap and let marinade for a least an hour. The longer the better.
- Place a large skillet on medium high.
- Add 2 Tablespoons of oil or water to pan and add sliced onions. Cook onions until tender.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add in mushrooms into same skillet and cook until soft.
- While mushrooms are cooking, prepare gluten-free rolls by lightly toasting and adding any condiments you would like.
- Place rolls open faced on large sheets of aluminum foil.
- Place onions onto one side of the rolls and then add mushrooms.
- Top with cheese and other half of roll.
- Wrap sandwich with foil and place in oven for a few minutes to melt cheese.
- Remove from oven and carefully unwrap.
- Serve immediately.