I love when Spring arrives. The flowers are starting to bloom, the weather breaks, and a whole new line of vegetables start appearing in the store. Vegetables that are colorful, flavorful, and inspire you to try new recipes. Recipes like this Creamy Spring Vegetable Soup that I put together.
Light and creamy, this vegetable soup is perfect for this time of year. My goal was to make sure it wasn’t too heavy, like a winter soup can be, but to also make sure it still had the comfort food type feel. Both of these goals were accomplished and I am thrilled to share this recipe with you.
To Roast or Not To Roast
For this recipe, I chose to roast all my veggies. It’s not something you have to do, but I just love the flavors that come out from roasting and wanted to bring that into this vegetable soup.
It also makes it A LOT easier to cook them all at once together! And who doesn’t like a shortcut right?
Non-Roasted or Leftovers?
Have a bunch of leftover spring vegetables from a previous meal? Go ahead and use those! No need to roast a whole new batch! It will still taste great.
Don’t feel like roasting? That’s OK too. Just make sure the asparagus and carrots are cooked. Asparagus al dente and carrots till fork tender. You’ll also want to saute your onions and garlic in some oil until they are cooked through also.Print
Creamy Spring Vegetable Soup – Dairy & Gluten Free
As spring arrives, so do the spring vegetables! This Creamy Vegetable Soup is delicious and easy to make. Gluten-free, Dairy-Free
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Soup
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, washed and trimmed
- 5 to 6 carrots, scrubbed and roughly chopped
- 1 yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1 can organic corn, rinsed and drained
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup avocado or olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, melted
- 3/4 cup gluten-free flour blend (this is the one I use)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups dairy-free milk
- Preheat oven 425° F
- On a large cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, place the vegetables and garlic in an even layer.
- Pour the oil over the vegetables.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- With clean hands, mix the vegetables thoroughly. Making sure to coat all the vegetables.
- Place vegetables on the middle rack in the oven and roast for 15 to 20 minutes or until carrots and asparagus are fork tender, tossing halfway through.
- Remove from oven and set aside
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat
- Lower heat to low and whisk in flour, salt, and pepper. Whisking for 2 – 3 minutes to cook off flour taste. Mixture will be thick.
- Whisk in vegetable broth and milk
- Turn heat up to medium and continue to stir until mixture becomes thick.
- Add in roasted vegetables and cook for 5 minutes.
- Turn off heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender* blend soup until desired consistency appears.
- Turn heat back on to medium and heat soup through.
- Serve hot or keep in air-tight containers
* If you don’t have an immersion blender, carefully pour soup into a high powered blender and pulse until desired consistency appears.
You’re Going To Love This Soup
OK, well, I could be wrong, but I’m really thinking you will love this soup. As you can see, it’s super easy to make and makes a beautiful looking dish.
In just under an hour, you will have a fantastic tasting dinner or side dish that any veggie lover will enjoy.
How About You?
What’s your favorite part of Spring? Is it the new vegetables or is it the change of weather?
Leave me a comment and let me know.
Thanks for stopping by and happy cooking!