Total honesty here. I am somewhat a newbie when it comes to plantains. I mean I love eating plantain chips, but I had never really ventured into cooking with them until I had delicious a plantain soup at a local restaurant. It was after having that soup that I decided I was going go home and play around with my own version of this creamy goodness in a bowl.
Roasting some of the ingredients was almost a given. I mean, I don’t know what it is about roasting, but the flavors just seem to explode, so why not try it with this dish.
Combining the semi-sweet flavors of the ripe plantains with the sweetness of the sweet potatoes worked perfectly (in my opinion).
This soup is creamy, tangy, and new favorite of mine for sure.
Creamy Roasted Plantain Soup – Dairy & Gluten Free
Creamy Roasted Plantain Soup – Dairy-free and Gluten-Free
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Latin
- 2 ripe plantains
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup dairy-free milk
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper
- Place sweet potatoes and plantains (in their peel) on the cookie sheet and roast until plantain skins turn black and are soft.
- Remove the plantains to cool, but allow sweet potatoes to keep roasting until fork tender, about another 10 minutes.
- Once plantains are cool, peel and slice. Place in a bowl and set aside
- Remove sweet potatoes once they are done and place in bowl with plantains.
- In a large pot, melt coconut oil over medium-high heat.
- Add red onion and cook until translucent
- Reduce heat to medium. Pour in vegetable stock, milk, sweet potatoes, and plantains.
- Bring to a slow boil, add in cilantro and turn off heat.
- Allow soup to cool for a few minutes and then using an immersion blender or high powered blender, blend soup till creamy.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Reheat soup over low heat.
- Serve hot and enjoy
What Do You Think?
Are you a fan of plantains? Do you think this soup would be something you would like or do you already make something like this?
Leave me a comment and let me know!
Thanks for stopping by and Happy Cooking!