One upon a time, a somewhat young and adventurous lady entered her kitchen. The goal for the day, was to try to revamp a recipe she had seen. She pushed shuffle on her music player and gathered all the necessary ingredients. What was supposed to be a dairy-free and gluten-free version of a chocolate billionaire recipe, unexpectedly, but delightfully turned into these Double Chocolate Billionaires.
You see, if you haven’t already guessed, this young (OK somewhat young) lady is me. And as happens on more occasions then I like to admit, I messed up the original planned recipe. But I didn’t give up. I took a step back, did a little kitchen dancing, and quickly revamped the revamped recipe to something even greater.
Turning An Oops to A Yum
I have said in the past that I am not the most talented of bakers. I’m not sure if it’s a lack of patience or what, but making any kind of dessert can sometimes be a roll of the dice for me.. will it work.. or won’t it.
It’s also exciting when those ‘oops’ turn into something really delicious like these double chocolate Billionaires.
Double Chocolate Billionaires
Sometimes the most simple amount of ingredients can make the most delicious of snacks. That’s what happens when you make these Double Chocolate Billionaires.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 24 Small Chocolate Billionaires
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Barlean’s Butter Flavored Coconut Oil*
- 1/4 cup dairy-free milk ( I used cashew milk)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp pink salt
- 2 cups dairy-free chocolate chips
- 3/4 chocolate (or regular) rice cereal
- 1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- 1 TBSP Barlean’s Butter Flavored Coconut Oil*
2 tsp coconut oil
- In a medium saucepan, over medium high heat, bring brown sugar and coconut oil to a low boil. Continue to stir for a few minutes to thicken.
- Reduce heat to simmer and add in milk, vanilla, salt, and chocolate chips. Continue stirring until well combined and chocolate is melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in rice cereal.
- Line a cookie sheet with wax paper and coat with coconut oil
- Drop chocolate mixture by the tablespoon onto cookie sheet or form into small balls.
- Place cookie sheet in the refrigerator for 10 to 15 minutes
- In a small saucepan, melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil. Stirring constantly until completely melted.
- Remove cookie sheet from the refrigerator and dip ball into the melted chocolate. Roll around to cover and return to cookie sheet.
- Place back in the refrigerator to form.
- Once formed, serve or keep in an air-tight container.
*vegan butter can also be used
Adding In Some Healthy Fats
Now a days it seems you can find coconut oil in just about anything. From lotions to smoothies, coconut oil has been toted (and joked about) as the miracle oil.
Whether or not it’s a miracle oil, I don’t know, but what I do know is that I love adding it to my recipes when I can.
About a year or two ago I was asked to be a part of Barlean’s blogger program. Having already been a big fan of their products, I jumped at the opportunity.
Coconut oil is a great source of MCT’s (medium-chain triglycerides) which are a form of fatty acids.
Now before you freak out about the words ‘fatty acids‘, please know that MCT oils have been shown to contain many health benefits. Studies show that they can help with healthy cognitive functions , weight management, and even heart health, amongst many other health benefits.
Barlean’s Butter Flavored Coconut Oil
So taking into effect all the health benefits that coconut oil has, adding it into my recipes is almost second nature now. It also doesn’t hurt that the Butter Flavored Coconut Oil tastes AMAZING and works great in just about any type of recipe.
And before you get worried about the word ‘flavor’, please know that the butter flavoring in this coconut oil comes from natural botanical. Nothing artificial.
You can rest assured that if use this oil you’ll just be getting something that, in my opinion, is a natural and healthy alternative to butter.
How About You?
Have you ever gone into making a recipe and it turned out maybe even better then you thought it would.. due to an ‘oops’ ? Have your tried Butter Flavored Coconut oil in any recipes? If so, leave me a comment and let me know. I’d love to hear about it!