A few years back, my youngest made her very first batch of Pumpkin Whoopie Pies.
We took them to the county fair and she won 1st Prize!!
She hasn’t made them in a long time, so we were ALL happy when she pulled out all the ingredients to make them yesterday.
We adapted the recipe to be Gluten Free Friendly and they turned out AMAZING!!
The original ‘gluten’ version of the recipe can be found here on Rachel Ray’s site.
See the recipe below for our gluten free version
- 1 large white potato, peeled, cubed, and cooked
- 1 large carrot, peeled, diced, and cooked
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 Tablespoon Tapioca starch (helps make it gooey)
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 Tablespoon jalapeno pickle juice (optional for spiciness)
- Cook the carrots and potato together until soft. Drain and let cool.
- Place potato, carrots, and remaining ingredients into a blender and blend until creamy. You may want to pulse it a few times at the beginning to make sure all the ingredients are incorporated.
- Pour into serving dish or place in a small sauce pan to heat back up if desired.
- Use as a topping for nachos, tacos, baked potatoes, and even grilled cheese.
- Store any leftover in air-tight container in refrigerator.