If you’re like me, you may have ventured to quite a few stores looking for gluten-free croutons and been frustrated with their lack of availability. Around me, they are pretty much non-existent, so instead of driving myself all over town in search of them or buying some processed ones online, I decided to make my own.
Little did I know how easy they are to make.
With just a few ingredients and a little bit of time, I had successfully made my own homemade croutons.
The only problem that arose was having to come up with the restraint not to eat them all at once.
When we first started taking gluten out of our diet, one of the things I didn’t realize I would miss would be croutons. They didn’t play a huge roll in my day to day meals, but that first salad without them was a bit lonely.
Who knew a bowl full of lettuce, carrots, and tomatoes would look a bit off without their crunchy counterparts?
Salad sadness is no longer an issue though in our house.
We pile these tasty tidbits high and enjoy every tasty, crunchy bite.
Spice Them Up As You Like
What I love most about this recipe is that you can flavor them just about any way you’d like.
Over the years, I’ve made ranch style, Italian, and even a batch of fiesta flavored.
All it takes is adding in whatever spices you like before toasting them up and voila, easy and delicious homemade gluten-free croutons.
Perfect For Stuffing Too!
I almost posted this recipe without telling you one more thing about these beauties.
If you dice the bread into smaller pieces, they are a perfect replacement for that store-bought stuffing mix you find this time of year.
Your stuffing will taste TEN TIMES better if you make these ahead of time and use them! The freshness, the spices, and the lack of anything preservative and/or chemical based is far superior then those bagged stuffing mixes for sure.Print
Super Easy Homemade Gluten-Free Croutons
- Super easy to make, these homemade Gluten-free croutons are perfect for any salad or for your favorite stuffing recipe.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 to 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 cups
- Category: side dish
- 4 cups gluten-free bread – cut into cubes (you can use regular bread too)
- 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup melted coconut oil or vegan butter
- 3 to 4 teaspoons of various spices
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 3 to 4 teaspoons of dry ranch dressing seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon sage
*Adjust seasonings to your taste
- Preheat oven to 350° F and line a large, rimmed cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside
- Cube gluten-free bread of choice into desired size and place into a large mixing bowl
- Pour melted oil over top and stir until bread are well covered
- In a small bowl, combine desired seasonings
- Sprinkle seasonings over breadcrumbs and mix again until bread crumbs are well seasoned
- Pour out bread crumbs onto lined cookie sheet, making sure bread is in an even layer
- Place in oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until toasted and golden brown. Stirring halfway through.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Serve immediately or store in air-tight container in refrigerator up to a week or in the freezer for 4 to 6 months.
Keywords: gluten-free, dairy-free, homemade, homemade stuffing, homemade croutons, bread
Make Ahead and Freeze
You can also make a batch or two of these now and freeze them in a freezer bag to use in recipes later.
Find some gluten-free bread on sale? Grab it, make some of these homemade croutons, and freeze away.
You’ll have them handy for any type of recipe or salad that comes your way.
Pin and Make Later