“You are capable of more than you know” ~Glinda, The Wizard of Oz
Dorothy just wanted to get home, but thought she had to rely on someone else to get her there. Little did she know that she was capable of doing it on her own.
When it comes to living a healthier life, we need to know that, just like Dorothy, we are capable of more than we know. We can take the simple steps of living a healthier lifestyle, starting with the first step.
Taking The First Step? Making the Choice
Choice is basically defined as having the power, option, or ability to look at a situation, a course of action, and to select among them.
Taking the step towards starting on a new journey towards a healthier lifestyle is a wonderful choice we get to have. It can be the one step we take that can make a huge impact.
Choices Come With Responsibility
Having the ability to make our own choices carries with it a lot of weight. Our choices can impact the lives of not only ourselves, but those around us as well. From big decisions to small, every choice we make time builds upon the other and effects the future.
Have Courage To Choose NOW
Looking back over our lives we all have moments where we would like a ‘do-over’. Whether it was the consequence of something we did or something that was done by someone else, these moments in time almost always started with a choice.
There are also times in our lives that haven’t happened yet. These moments will also require a choice. Ones like:
In a blink of an eye your child is all grown up and is getting married.. will you choose to spend more time now with them before it’s too late?
A diagnosis you were not expecting comes from the doctor… will you choose now to break the habit of _____ (insert vice here)?
The future isn’t written out to us anywhere, so NOW is the the time to be courageous and to do what you are capable of doing.. make the choice to be healthier.
The First Step Is the Easiest
Taking that first step can often be hardest, but once you are at the top and looking back, you’ll see that it was actually the easiest.
Here are a few encourages thoughts to help you take that first step.
Think Outside the Box
How often do we get stuck in the thinking that we have limited choices or no choices at all? It’s in these situations when we have to change our thinking and think outside the box.
If you are at the stage in your life when you are trying to decide whether you want to really make a firm choice to be healthy, make a list. Write out different results that could happen if you choose NOT to take the first step and then write out what the consequences of that choice would be. Next, write out different results that could happen if you chose to say YES and take that first step. Then write out what the consequences of that choice would be.
Gather Yourself Some Knowledge
When making a choice like this, we need to make sure that we don’t work off of the circumstances in our lives. Something may happen, like a bad report from the doctor or an accident, that could cause us to make a sudden choice, but it’s always a good idea to take a step back and gather all the information needed.
Taking the step to healthier living is surely a positive step, although having good information on how to do that will be a sound foundation to start with.
Talk with your doctor. Do research. Listen to Podcasts. All of this information will help you find what direction you would like to go in for your new healthier lifestyle.
Exercise The Muscle That Makes The Choices
Making choices requires being able to use reasoning and thought. This all happens in the frontal lobe.
Your frontal lobe is where your decision making process happens. Seeing that this is an important part of your body, it’s a good idea to exercise it on a regular basis.
Here are a few exercises your frontal lobe are:
- List Making
- Brain games/puzzle
Taking care of one of the most important muscles in your body is one of the key ingredients to a healthier lifestyle. Our frontal lobe alone affects us emotionally, socially, financially, spiritually and in every other facet of life. Since we can’t see it, we often forget how important this muscle is. Playing games and doing some list making are just a few easy exercises that we can do to give it the attention it needs.
Last, But Not Least, Get Support
Taking the step to a healthier lifestyle is a journey. It’s not something that has a set end date or completed destination goal. It’s a constant pursing of being healthy and happy. Just as it took time to get in whatever place you are now, this too will take some time. It’s a process that needs support.
Here are a few things you can to help you have a strong support system while on your journey:
- Change your thought pattern – making the decision to live a healthier lifestyle is going to be one of the easiest and hardest things you have ever done. The beginning will be exciting and fun, yet as the road takes a few twists and turns you didn’t see coming, you will need to have the right mindset to stay on track.
- Change your “I can’t do this” to “I can do this right from the beginning. Remember, “You are capable of more than you know“
- Focus on what you are adding into your life (delicious new foods, new friends, new adventures) instead of focusing on what you may be taking out. Stay positive.
- Establish a support system made up of family and friends – share what you are doing with those closest to you. Choose people who will willingly come alongside you and positively help you along the journey. Openly share with them what your goals are and ask them to help you stay on track.
- Set goals – once you stop and take that first step of making the Choice to be healthier, sit down and meditate about what you want to accomplish. Set goals that are attainable. Remember, it’s a journey, so you have time to plan this out. As you continue down your health adventure, stop and review your goals at time and set new ones to challenger yourself along the way.
- Journal about your journey – even if you don’t consider writing as something you enjoy doing, it’s a good way to track your goals, to see where you are going, and to be able to look back and see all that you have accomplished. It will help you know what worked and what didn’t and will even encourage you to keep going.
- Give yourself a lot of grace – switching to a healthier lifestyle isn’t going to happen overnight. Nor is it going to be something that we will just breeze through with no difficulties. It’s a journey. I know I keep saying that, but it is. And on this journey you will need to be able to give yourself a break every once and awhile. Don’t beat yourself up over missteps or diversions. Once you realize you’ve gotten off the path, get back on and move on.
You Can Do This… Just Take That First Step
I believe in you. Truly I do. Even though we may have never met, I truly believe that you can do this because I believe every person has it in them to take that first step.
“You are capable of more than you know” ~Glinda, The Wizard of Oz
From my own personal experience along my health journey, taking that first step of making the CHOICE to be healthy has been one of the best things I have ever done in my life and one that I will never regret.
Do I have struggles? YES I do. Yet, I push through because I know that I feel so much better and I enjoy life so much more being healthy.
Ready To Take The Step?
How about you? Are you ready to take that first step to a healthier lifestyle?
I really hope that this post encourages you to take that first step of CHOOSING to be healthier or even taking some time to really think about it. It’s one step to a whole journey that could change your whole life.
I would love to hear from you about your health journey. Leave me a comment and let me know where you are on your journey. Are you just taking the first step or have you been on a path of health and wellness for awhile? I’d love to hear about.
More Steps On The Way
Thanks so much for stopping by! Feel free to reach out if you need any more information about Steps To A Healthier Lifestyle – Step One: Choice.
And keep an eye out for more Step posts coming soon.
Steps To A Healthier Lifestyle – Step One: Choice