I love Brown Rice, but I’ve never been really adventurous when it comes to trying new recipes with it. I usually make it ‘as directed’ on the back of the box and serve it as a boring side dish to some of our meals.
But with the help of Mom Central and the Uncle Ben’s Whole Grain Brown Rice Blog Tour, I’m broadening my ‘Rice horizons’ and starting to add some spices to our rice and adding rice to some different dishes.
So far so YUMMY!
- boxes of Uncle Ben’s Boil-in-Bag Whole Grain Brown Rice (ready in 10 minutes)
- boxes of Uncle Ben’s Fast & Natural Instant Brown Rice (ready in 10 minutes)
- boxes of Uncle Ben’s Natural Whole Grain Brown Rice (ready in 40 minutes)
- recipes from Uncle Ben’s
- Top 10 Ways to Incorporate Whole Grain Rice in Everyday Meals
My first Yummy experiment was just adding some spices to some already cooked Fast & Natural Instant Brown Rice.
I melted some butter in a pan, than added minced garlic and Italian herbs. I sautéed this for awhile then added the cook rice. My family really enjoyed the added flavor and the departure from bland old rice.
After reading through the list of ways to incorporate Whole Grain Rice in Everyday Meals, I went ahead and added some already cooked Boil-in-Bag rice to some guacamole I had just made.
After mixing the rice in, I was THRILLED with the results.
There really wasn’t any change to the actual taste of the guacamole, but it was great knowing I was adding fiber to a simple dish.
Some other great ways to incorporate Whole Grain Brown Rice into everyday meals are:
- Add cooked rice to your favorite veggie dip; serve with cut vegetables or whole grain crackers
- For a power breakfast – add cooked whole grain rice to low fat cottage cheese and top with chopped fruit
- Mix whole grain brown rice with blueberries, add to whole grain pancake mix for a delicious breakfast
- Substitute brown rice for pasta in casseroles and soups
With all these great ideas and Uncle Ben’s recipes, I’ll never cook boring rice recipes again!
**I wrote this review while participating in a blog campaign by Mom Central on behalf of Uncle Ben’s and received samples to facilitate my candid review. Mom Central sent me a gift card to thank me for taking the time to participate..**