Vegan Mushroom Nuggets
Extremely easy to make and fun to eat, these vegan nuggets are a must try. They are made with Baby Bella Mushrooms and are gluten-free and dairy-free.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Category: main dish
- Cuisine: vegan
- 16 ounces baby bella mushrooms, cleaned (stems removed if desired)
- 1/2 cup gluten-free flour blend (this is the one I use)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast (this is the one I use)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Juice from a 15 oz can of chickpeas or 1 1/2 cups of aquafaba (or 5 to 6 egg whites)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup avocado or olive oil
Garlic Aioli Sauce
- 1 cup vegan mayonaise
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Clean mushrooms by wiping gently to remove any access dirt. If desired, remove stems. Place mushrooms in a large bowl and set aside.
- Sift the flour into a medium size bowl. Whisk in the rest of the dry ingredients.
- In another medium size bowl, add the aquafaba.
- Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Assemble the ingredients in an assembly line formation. Mushrooms, aqufaba, dry ingredients, and lined cookie sheet.
- You will want to use one hand for the wet ingredients and the other for the dry
- Starting with the one mushroom at a time, use one hand to dip the mushroom into the aquafaba and then into the dry ingredients.
- Using your other hand, shake off any excess dry ingredients and place mushroom onto lined cookie sheet.
- Repeat this process until all mushrooms are coated.
- Heat 1/4 cup of oil in a medium size skillet over medium heat.
- Carefully, fill the skillet with one layer of mushrooms, top side down. Cook 4 to 6 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Flip mushrooms and allow to cook for another 4 to 6 minutes or until done.
- Place on plate with paper towels to drain.
- Continue this process until all the nuggets are cooked. Adding more oil if need be.*
- Serve hot with aioli sauce or sauce of your choosing
For Garlic Aioli Sauce
In a small bowl, whisk together all the ingredients. Cover with an air-tight lid and keep in refrigerator until ready to use.
*Don’t use too much oil at once. The mushrooms will soak up the oil and become very mushy.
If you would like a little crisper mushroom, place the cooked mushrooms in a 350′ degree oven for another 10 minutes.
Keywords: vegan, vegan nuggets, gluten-free, mushrooms