Are regular waffles delicious on their own? Well of course they are. But, if you add just a few more ingredients to the mix, you can take your regular waffles to simply delicious in no time. That’s exactly what happened when I put together this dairy-free and gluten-free Zucchini Bread waffle recipe.
Zucchinis seem to be around everywhere this time of year, so putting them into a waffle recipe just seemed to make sense. Not only are they delicious, but they are really simple to make too.
Waffles At The Next Level
I had seen some recipes for zucchini pancakes a while back and made them for a family dinner. They were pretty good and everyone seemed to like them, but I kept thinking… this could be better.
And better had to be waffles.
Now don’t get me wrong, I do love a good pancake. It’s just something about the light, airy fluffyness that makes waffles just a smidge better than it’s flatter food relative.
Waffles aren’t always the easiest thing to make, but when you get it right (like this time), they can turn out pretty darn awesome.
Zucchini Bread Simple Spices
One of the things missing in the zucchini pancake recipe I tried was the addition of some spices. Zucchini itself really has no strong flavor, so it needed a little help. What it needed was some spicing up.
Not crazy, but just enough to make the flavor of the waffles taste like, well, like something yummy. And what recipe tastes yummy that has zucchini in it? Well, zucchini bread of course.
So, by just adding a little cinnamon and nutmeg, along with the shredded zucchini, I was able to get the perfect combo of flavorings I was looking for.
Simply Delicious Gluten-Free Zucchini Bread Waffles
Take your waffles to the next level of deliciousness with this Dairy-free and Gluten-Free Zucchini Bread Waffle recipe
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- 3 1/2 cups gluten-free cup for cup baking mix (I use this one)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 cups dairy-free sour milk *
- 1/2 cup oil (or 1/4 applesauce & 1/2 cup oil)
- 6 egg whites (aquafaba egg whites as a substitute)*
- 1 1/2 cups shredded and drained zucchini*
- Sift all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl and set aside
- In a medium bowl, beat egg whites* till stiff peaks form (about 3 to 5 minutes)
- Slowly add in the milk and oil to egg mixture
- Add shredded zucchini to dry mixture, mixing a few times to blend
- Gently add egg mixtures to dry ingredients
- Stir together waffle batter until well combined, but do not overmix. The mixture will be a bit lumpy
- Pour batter onto hot waffle maker
- Cook until light or golden brown
- Serve immediately or store in air-tight container for later reheating
*Sour Milk – add 3 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar to non-dairy milk and allow to sit for a few minutes
*Aquafaba egg whites-12 tablespoons of aguafaba (liquid fro canned chickpeas)= 6 egg whites. With the whisk attachment on your mixer, whisk together aquafaba with 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar until stiff peaks form
*Shredded and Drained Zucchini – make sure you drain and/or squeeze out as much moisture as you can from the zucchini. Place shredded zucchini in a milk bag to help release excess moisture.
Keywords: zucchini, waffles, gluten-free, dairy-free
Let Me Know What You Think
I enjoy hearing from people who have tried my recipes, so if you give this one a try, come back and leave me a comment. I’d love to hear from you.